If you are unable to talk to someone who is next to the doorbell via the Nest app, or if the other person cannot hear you, please follow the guidance below.
As a first step, we always recommend that you do a speed test. Many problems are associated with a bad internet connection. You can read more in our speedtest guide. If your internet connection is good, read on.
Sound from the camera inaudible in the Nest app
- If you are using a headset or speaker (via Bluetooth or with a cable), check whether the sound is coming from that device instead of the built-in speaker from your mobile, tablet or computer. If necessary, increase the volume.
- Check whether the doorbell microphone is switched on.
You do not hear the person at the camera or with a lag
There is always a slight delay in the sound when you use Talk & Listen, even when you are close to the camera. That is because your voice and the video from the camera are both sent via the internet.
If there is a major lag or the person at the camera cannot hear you at all, read these suggestions to solve the problem:
- If you use a headset or speaker for phone calls (via Bluetooth or with a cable), you may need to talk in that device instead of directly in your mobile, tablet or computer.
- iPhone users must ensure that the "Sound on / off" button is not disabled.
- The mobile or tablet that you use may have a poor internet connection. A slightly better connection can make a big difference. If you use Talk & Listen via a mobile connection, try to find a place where the range is better. Or switch to Wi-Fi and connect to a network. If the Wi-Fi signal is too weak, try to find a place where the signal is stronger.
Speaker volume is not adjustable
You cannot adjust the volume of the speaker, but the sound is set so that it can be heard by someone close to the camera. If you use Talk & Listen a lot, place the camera in a place where your voice can be heard clearly.